Top Five Tips for Shaking Up (Or Starting!) Your Exercise Routine
Working out is not an easy habit to get into, but in order for your body to be at its best then exercise is essential. If you’re having a hard time getting motivated to work out or are simply looking for tips on ways to change up your routine, look no further. Check out these five simple ways to enhance your fitness and get back into shape.
1. Take Your Vitamins
Just because Mama isn’t there to remind you to do so, taking your vitamins shouldn’t stop when you outgrow Flintstones Kids. It’s very important to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs, especially if you’re going to be starting a new exercise regime.
- Since you don’t naturally produce Omega-3 fatty acids, it’s important to get them somewhere — and that somewhere can be a dietary supplement. If you’re unsure whether to choose flaxseed oil vs fish oil look into the pros and cons of both and pick what works best for you.
- Iron is important in healthy blood flow and circulation. Check with your doctor and see how your blood counts are doing and whether or not you need to take extra iron.
- Calcium promotes strong bones and teeth, so chewing a Tums every morning or looking into an herbal supplement can help you prevent Charlie horses and muscle spasms.
2. Don’t Overdo It
There is no shame in starting small when you first begin working out; remember that your muscles need time to build themselves up and this does not happen overnight. That being said, don’t do something that could potentially hurt you like try and bench 200 pounds if you’ve never lifted in your life. You have nothing to prove to anyone else. Allow your body to naturally sculpt itself as you develop your workout routine.
3. Mix it Up
An interesting thing happens when your workout becomes a routine: You start to grow bored with it. Add variety to your fitness regimen and do many activities instead of just one, or change the scope of your activity of choice. Sometimes a fresh outlook really is all you need to get recharged.
- Rather than jog the exact same route every day for an hour, go the opposite direction and surprise yourself with where you end up. Challenge yourself to go a new route every day.
- If you are starting to dread the monotony of your yoga routine, check out others for free on YouTube.
- Try something completely new to you. Just because you haven’t mastered it yet doesn’t mean you won’t have fun trying it!
4. Take a Class
Some people are simply not disciplined enough to hold themselves accountable for a regular fitness routine. If you are one of those people then sign up for a class at your local gym or rec center — bonus points if you get a friend or two to join you! Classes keep you honest, especially when you go with other people who can push you and cheer for you if you’re struggling. Look at what kind of classes are offered nearby and sign up for something that appeals to you.
5. Watch Your Vices
Everyone has them, and whether yours is smoking, drinking or chewing tobacco remember the rule of thumb: Everything in moderation. Tobacco and nicotine directly impact your lungs, which in turn can make it difficult to steady your breathing level. Overindulgence of alcohol makes for a miserable morning after, so take all this into consideration if you plan on going for a jog or lifting weights the next day.
It’s important to be as regular as possible with your exercise routine, and Heaven knows that can be difficult sometimes. Reignite your excitement for exercise or start entirely fresh by making changes to your everyday routine.