LIKE THIS POST? Get these delivered right to your inbox



5 Simple Ideas for Workout Motivation for Beginners

According to global research, only between 20-30% of people engage in a recommended level of physical activity. Even more shocking is that between 70-80% of individuals never do any physical activity apart from walking, believing that limiting calories is enough to lose weight and get into shape. Although healthy dieting is accounted for 70% of the body transformation, the workout makes for the remaining 30%. In addition, staying physically active is an excellent way to reduce stress, and decrease the risk of developing certain health conditions later in life. So, if you’ve already managed to get hold of a healthy diet regimen, but still struggling with enforcing the same discipline to your workouts, here are five expert suggestions that may give you some ideas.

Get started

First things first, you need to consult your doctor and get yourself medically examined. This is especially important if you haven’t been working out for an extended period of time, or you are 45 or over. This examination can detect any health issues that might put you at risk during exercising. More importantly, it can also optimise your workout, allowing your trainer to tailor an exercise plan that works for you. When talking about exercise plans, you need one that sets realistic goals. For example, if your goal is to run a six-minute mile, start with a routine that highlights shorter runs and then advances to your goal. A good way of making a schedule and sticking to it is to exercise at the same time every day.

Advance steadily

Many beginners make unrealistic expectations, which only motivate them to give up. Instead of trying to match some pro exercising regimen, stick to what the American College of Sports Medicine currently recommends: 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise per week. These 150 minutes can be arranged in any way you want. For instance, do a 30-minute workout five times a week, or a 40-minute workout every other day. What surprises, though, are the recent findings saying that, packing those 150 minutes into one or two sessions per week can be as beneficial as the even spread. One way or another, it’s important to increase the intensity as your fitness level improves. Exercising too much not only puts you at risk of infections, hormonal, imbalance, and chronic fatigue but can also weaken your entire immune system.

Adopt a supportive diet

If you commit to a regular workout schedule, you should also adopt the daily habits that support your time spent in the gym or the track. Drinking enough water throughout the day is essential for keeping the body hydrated, which is important for maintaining athletic performance, as well as recovering from physical strain. Also, you need to consume a balanced diet to support your exercise program. Healthy energy levels depend on all food groups, but carbs are particularly important as they load up your muscles before exercise. Adopting healthier eating habits also leads to losing weight, which goes hand-in-hand with better fitness performance. Check out this height weight chart and see what is your ideal range, and use it as an extra goal. Protein-rich foods, on the other hand, improve muscle recovery after workouts, repair damaged tissues, and build muscle mass.

Warm up, cool down

Getting warmed up before the workout is important, as it significantly reduces the risk of injuries and improves your performance. In addition, warming up improves your flexibility and reduces soreness after workouts. The best way to warm up is to begin your workout with light 5-minute jogging, followed by aerobic exercises like arm swings, leg kicks, walking lunges, squats, and push-ups. Alternatively, you can warm up by doing exercise you are planning to do, but with much smaller resistance. Cooling down, on the other hand, is also important because it helps your body return to its previous state. Some of the popular cool-down routines include light walking after an aerobic workout, or stretching after resistance training.

Have fun

The ultimate key to staying motivated and making working out a habit is to have a lot of fun doing it. This way exercising doesn’t become a chore and something you’d rather avoid. If it makes more fun to you, mix up activities, substituting a session in the gym with a pleasant evening bike ride or swimming followed by a sauna or a spa treatment. Joining a gym group or a group fitness class like Pilates or TRX has two benefits: it has a fixed schedule, which eliminates procrastination, and you can meet great people on the same mission like yourself. Working out in a group can motivate you to keep up the good work.

What is the single element that keeps these five tips together? Give up? It’s you! Your attitude and self-control have more say in your motivation than you may